15 Palm Avenue, San Rafael
Sold • Sold List Price $2,595,000
Located in the coveted upscale Dominican neighborhood of San Rafael, this exquisitely remodeled Victorian offers a rare combination of historic architectural beauty and modern conveniences. The elegant gated residence (3,282 sq. ft. on a 10,192 sq. ft. lot per tax record) has 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and offers a traditional family floor plan with all 5 bedrooms upstairs.
This light filled home has great flow and offers multiple gathering spaces for relaxing and entertaining. The main floor features a grand living room with attached formal dining room and nearby sitting room. The spacious kitchen opens to a large family room with French doors leading to the private backyard.
Built with integrity in 1900, examples of detailed period woodwork, high ceilings and original oak flooring can be seen throughout the home. The banister and living room fireplace mantle are historically significant having come from the neighboring Dominican University.
Expanded in 1998 and remodeled to perfection in 2000, using the highest quality materials and craftsmanship, the home's character has been carefully preserved and thoughtfully updated by the current owner.
Whole house systems include upgraded plumbing and electrical, dual zone central heat and air conditioning, security system, intercom, Future Smart Network System with fiber, cable and Ethernet to the main rooms, recirculation pump for hot water and solar panels which reduce the electric bill.
Conveniently located, 15 Palm Avenue is in proximity to shops, restaurants, schools, parks, hiking and mountain biking.
Dominican residents enjoy access to the Conlan Recreation Center at neighboring Dominican University with pool, fitness center, gymnasium, and tennis courts and various on-campus talks and activities.
The grounds, like the home, are stunning! The property is graced with mature trees, a level lawn, Connecticut bluestone and brick patios, meandering pathways, fountains and a charming pavilion. The zinc architectural element on top of the pavilion once adorned a chateau in France!
The formal English gardens, designed by landscape architect Fred Warnecke, include boxwood, roses, lavender, lemon trees, hydrangea and an allee of iron arches with climbing roses.
There is a raised bed vegetable garden, landscape lighting, multi zoned irrigation and a perfect site for a play structure.
This exceptional property is not to be missed!
KITCHEN & FAMILY ROOM
- Spacious chef's kitchen boasts top of the line custom inset paneled cabinetry, Carrera marble counters, large center island with seating, two deep sinks and high end appliances including Sub Zero refrigerator/freezer, Viking six burner range with double oven and Miele dishwasher
- Mini butler by kitchen sink for filtered cold water and instant hot
- Pot filler over the range
- Eating area with built in banquette
- Office nook with built in desk and storage
- Walk in pantry has marble counters & beverage refrigerator
- Powder room off kitchen
- Etched glass doors created by local artist David Arnone
- Family room features vaulted bead board ceiling, gas fireplace with French blue limestone surround, custom built-ins, media cabinet and surround sound
- Large windows with transom lights and French doors to the patio and lawn
- Side entry with mudroom conveniently located off the kitchen.
- Mudroom floor is limestone with French blue limestone detail
MASTER SUITE & UPPER LEVEL
- Inviting master bedroom offers high ceilings, tall windows overlooking the front gardens and a walk in closet with custom built ins
- Master bath has soaking tub, separate shower, bow front vanity with marble counter and nickel fixtures
- Four additional bedrooms are on the upper level each with charming design features such as built in window seats and bookshelves
- Largest of the four bedrooms has a vaulted ceiling and overlooks the back garden
- Hall bathroom boasts double vanity with Calacatta sponda marble counters and nickel fixtures, tub shower combo with subway tile and built in shelving and storage
- Hall laundry with washer, dryer, deep sink, counter and storage
- Laundry counter is jadeite green Corian with folding cover insert
- Hall linen closets
- All bathroom fans are top quality and very quiet
- Remodeled upstairs in 1998 - Bunnell Builders
- Remodeled kitchen and addition of butler's pantry, mudroom and family room in 2000 - Plath Construction
- Living room fireplace is wood burning with gas starter
- SF Stereo custom wired the house. It is a Future Smart Network System that has 2 fiber, 2 cable and 2 Ethernet cables that run to most of the main room in the house
- ADT alarm is fire and burglar. Every street accessible window has an alarm.
- Solar panels on house (owned) for electrical – bill is annual
- Much of the hardware on doors is original
- Added pillars creating separation between living and dining rooms
- One car Garage plus off street parking
- Walk in basement with storage/workbench (potential site for wine cellar)
- Slate roofing tile in back is 200 years old from a farm in Vermont