38 Fernhill Avenue, Ross
List Price $7,900,000
Sitting on some of the most beautiful grounds available for sale in the city of Ross is 38 Fernhill Avenue estate. The 2 acres are some of the most coveted in Marin County and perfectly combine community life and the privacy of being at home. Built at the turn of the century and facing South West, the residence is full of history (7,813 square feet per appraiser) and offers the following 7 bedrooms and 5.5 bathrooms.
The gated property was built around the same period as the Lagunitas Club, located nearby, and the San Francisco Theological Seminary. The property is also located close to the great Branson School, the Ross School, the Ross Common, restaurants, shops, and more. This home's character and architecture have been preserved over the last 100 years by its three former family owners.
Noteworthy details about this fabulous home:
- Period woodwork
- Hand blown glass windows
- Original oak flooring
From holiday celebrations to birthday parties, soccer matches, and the filing of two movies, this home has exceptional history.
- This property is distinguishable by its magnificent lawns and landscaping works. A heritage deodar cedar stands in the middle of the circular drive surrounded by azaleas, boxwood and fern,. Other trees found on the estate are Port Orford, Cedar, Tulip Magnolia, and more.
- This elegant home’s grand scale and detailed design perfectly transitions between indoors and outdoors and makes for the perfect inspiring environment for entertainment or relaxation.
- With its locally quarried stones, the massive fireplace is the main focus of the living room. Your eyes will then pan around and appreciate the tall and exposed beam ceilings, the grand staircase, and the large windows looking out to the front porch.
- The formal dining room boasts 10-foot ceilings, a decorative fireplace, rift oak wainscoting, and windows overlooking the lawns.
- The sunroom is surrounded by glass and has linen wrapped walls with two sets of French doors leading to the front porch and living room. An enchanting glass surrounded porch runs along the left side of the house providing a great spot to read, play games and more. Redwood pillars and glass completely give you the impression that you are already outside. An indoor potting niche is also available with direct access to the lawns.
- The kitchen, eating area, and family room come together to create the great room which were all transformed in 2005 to accommodate custom double paned windows running from the floor to the ceiling. Featured in the room are French doors, a butcher block island with counter seating, grey French limestone counters, a Shaws farm sink and top-of-the-line Viking and Kitchen Aid appliances.
- A wood burning fireplace with French limestone hearth will warm up the moments you will spend in the eating area. The family room, with its large fireplace, custom shelves, media wall and its view of the San Francisco Theological Seminary is an amazing space for entertainment. It offers a stunning view of the lawns and gardens and makes for a perfect informal outdoor dining spot.
- The sixth bedroom located off the family room has mostly been used as a sitting room, library or office.
- The main staircase is magnificent. It is made with custom carved railings a unique skylight beams light from above. Five of the bedrooms are accessible from the large light filled landing.
- The master suite boasts a wood-burning fireplace, a large sitting room and large walk-in closets. The master bath includes a cast iron tub, a separate shower and a pedestal sink. The master suite also gives access to a third en suite bedroom (also accessible from the landing or the back staircase). Its views are unique as well as it overlooks the side gardens and the swimming pool. It is perfect for an office or to be used as a nursery.
- There are two large en suite bedrooms, one with a wood-burning fireplace. The roof deck overlooking the driveway, lawns and gardens can be accessed through the glass doors of each room. The fifth bedroom, with built in cabinetry and amazing leaded glass windows, is located at the end of the landing.
The guesthouse has been renovated recently and blends perfectly with the main house. It offers an airy feeling thanks to its gorgeous cathedral ceilings and a multitude of windows. Its views of the beautiful gardens and quiet swimming pool make it a perfect spot for relaxation. The guesthouse also includes a complete wet bar, a refrigerator and full bathroom. It is convenient and can also be used as a pool house.